Recently, I was exposed to tenants who have been awarded $7,900 for relocation assistance in Los Angeles County. I thought, How Scary is this for Landlords to have to award a tenant $7,900 for relocating! Well, the fee can be higher depending on the circumstances. Landlords BEWARE ! Renters: BE Aware of your rights and possibilities of receiving relocation assistance upon “NO FAULT” eviction.


Situations that require the property owner to regain the use of the rental unit, as the result of a personal or business decision, and not the fault of the tenant may be cause for eviction, but the landlord may have to pay the tenant relocation assistance.  These reasons include when the landlord:

1.      Wants the rental unit for his own use or a family member.

2.      Wants the rental unit for the use of a resident manager.

3.      Wants to demolish or permanently remove (Ellis Act) the unit from rental housing use.

4.      Has been ordered to vacate the unit or building by a governmental agency, as the result of a legal violation.

5.      Is the Federal Government and it wants to sell the property the rental unit is on.

6.       Owns a Residential Hotel and wants to demolish or convert the building to another use.

7.      Wants to convert or build Affordable Housing Accommodations requiring a government-imposed regulatory agreement.

A landlord cannot evict a tenant in order to sell the property, unless the property is owned by the Federal Government.

If you own rental property in the City of Los Angeles, it may be subject to the city’s Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO). Find out if your property falls under this ordinance and what you need to know to be in compliance.

Generally, the RSO applies to rental properties that were first built on or before October 1, 1978 as well as replacement units under LAMC Section 151.28 and is any of the following:

  • Apartment
  • Condominium
  • Townhome
  • Duplex
  • Two or more single family dwelling units on the same parcel
  • Rooms in a hotel, motel, rooming house or boarding house occupied by the same tenant for 30 or more consecutive days
  • Residential unit(s) attached to a commercial building



  • All Properties with RSO rental units must post notification that the property is subject to the RSO.

  • All units rented or offered for rent must be registered annually with HCIDLA. New property owners have 45 days to register their rental property and if applicable, file Temporary exemptions.

  • Owners are responsible for the payment of annual fees; however, the cost of registration may be shared by landlords and tenants.
  • If the status of a previously exempted unit changes, the property owner must notify the HCIDLA and pay the applicable fees within 10 days.

Here is direct link to Relocation Assistance Fees

Landlords, ensure your property is registered and you are following the laws as applicable to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

Tenants, ensure your property is registered and your landlord is following the laws applicable to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance.

If you are an owner of rental property/properties in need of Eviction services, please contact me immediately to set up a business account. I will provide you with special pricing for your evictions and help ease your headaches.